Friday, March 11, 2016

1921 Historic Quick Bridge Quick British Columbia (Picture)


Above Photo: The Quick British Columbia Historic Bridge found in 
Quick British Columbia crossing the Bulkley River.

For larger view of the photo, click on the picture.

Today, December 15, 2015 we decided to take a drive on the Walcott Forest Service Road as I wanted to take some pictures of the Telkwa Mountain Range and other scenic areas along the way.

With a bright blue sky and the ground covered with snow, all this make for some really nice photos. I also had my sights set on the old Quick Bridge near the end of today's journey, actually I did not know if it was still there as there has been talk that the bridge was to be torn down.

As we dropped in elevation from the mountains and entered into the valley, there it stood, an amazing sight to see, the old Quick wooden bridge was still there. 

The Quick vehicle bridge was built in 1921 using the Howe wood truss design. Fir timbers were used on the span which ran the length of 300 feet from shore to shore. It is also a single lane bridge which gives a great view of the Bulkley River which flows underneath it.

Just before our car ventured onto the bridge, I stopped, got out and started taking pictures. I jumped back in and drove to the center of the bridge, jumped out and started filming once again. I jumped back in the car and drove off of the bridge and again pulled over, opened the door and slowly walked back onto the old bridge.

I stood looking at all the timbers that made up the structure, thinking of the design and workmanship that went into this bridge, and all the people, old vehicles and farming tractors that crossed so many years ago.

These types of bridges are being lost to new steel constructed bridges which at times have no character at all. This old Quick Bridge is a part of British Columbia’s history that by the sounds of it will be lost forever. 

So what I can do today, is to provide some of the pictures I took of this magnificent structure. If this bridge is replaced one day, at least there will be some photos and written records to show the younger generation how things looked like back in 1921 at this location in Quick.

You can find a number of pictures of the bridge I took that day I crossed it. 

The Quick, B.C. Historic Bridge:

Travel British Columbia with Brian Vike blog, please contact me at b_vike@telus.net

Travel British Columbia with Brian Vike.

Travel Houston, British Columbia with Brian Vike.

No comments:

Post a Comment